Friday, October 22, 2010

ContextEventRepeater Can Serve as a 4-letter Word

I've seen a LOT of people have trouble with this one. You get the dreaded NoClassDefFoundError and it's pointing right at com.icesoft.faces.util.event.servlet.ContextEventRepeater.

There's a variety of forum posts on this monster over at www.icesoft.org but the causes of this particular error seem to be wide and varied, and even after checking all the things they tell you to check you can still wind up slamming your head against the keyboard until the spacebar is smeared with blood and hair.

I've been tooling around with Eclipse Ganymede (That's version 3.4.2 if you care) with ICEfaces 1.8.1. I got this hideous error myself today and the cause, in my case, is absolutely bizarre.

I'd been building my little app and getting some other, unrelated, strange errors when I decided that what I needed to do was to move my build output from the default /build to /WEB-INF/classes. Sounds peachy, right?

Well, wouldn't you know, that triggered the hideous error. At first I didn't think there could POSSIBLY be a connection so I did the search/read/headbang thing for about 2 hours before I decided to try to switch that output folder back.

Guess what?

That fixed the error.

Normally I try to follow up these little nuggets with an explanation of why that happened but I have absolutely no idea. I presume it has something to do with how Eclipse tells the server where the .jars are but I really am stumped. If anybody would like to E-mail me with that or post a comment on why, it would be very much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment