Monday, August 29, 2011

Projects on Github

So it was suggested in a comment on this post that I upload my code to Github.

So I checked that with my boss and he was cool with it so I created an account there and have uploaded the complete projects for the Shibboleth-Liferay-Hook and Shibboleth-Liferay-Extension to my new page here.

I thought about making these things buildable with Maven but frankly I think the best way to do it is using ant within the Liferay Plugins SDK. I do have other plugin projects that are Mavenized and will post them on Github at some point.

These projects are also available through the Liferay Community Downloads section of the Liferay website.


Note: I'm not sure how much maintenance I will be doing to these projects. If I make any good changes to the projects here I'll update them on Github and, of course, if anyone finds problems and bugs with them we'll fix 'em, but mostly they're out there to help people figure this stuff out and learn.


  1. Thank you so much for these two projects (the extension and the hook), I don't know how long it would have taken me to figure it all out for myself.

    I know it probably has been a while since you last looked into it, but I'm going to ask anyway, hoping you can point out a silly mistake I made or at least point me in the right direction.

    I tried using them with the Liferay-Tomcat-bundle in version 6.0 (on 6.1 installing the plugins seems to destroy the whole portal). I got as far as being able to enable Shibboleth as an authentication method in the portal settings, as described in part 6 of your tutorial. However the option does not show up when I actually try to log in. I've read through all six parts and even though I took the shortcut of using the complete plugins I can't figure out what I could have missed.

  2. I guess a little more info than "It doesn't work" wouldn't hurt. When I fire up tomcat, this error message shows up:

    10:46:22,622 ERROR [ShibbolethAutoLogin:78] java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.autologin.AutoLoginFilter.processFilter(

  3. And one more. The problem was that Shibboleth failed to start. I probably could have figured that out earlier... Thanks again for the tutorial, it helped me a great deal! :)

  4. Hi there, sorry I didn't see your comment sooner, and I'm glad it worked out for you!